Monday, August 27, 2012

Reflections (part 3 of 3)


“The Lord is the light reflected by all.  He shining, everything shines after him.”
The Upanishads

I adore my neighborhood in Montana.  I live in a little green bungalow that I’d like to paint blue, which sits on a slight hill under a canopy of tall, leafy green trees.  And I like to sit out on my front porch in the mornings, sipping my cup of coffee and watching my neighbors emerge, one by one, from their tidy, flower lined houses, to sip their cups of coffee in Adirondack chairs in their front yards.  They smile and wave at me, “Good morning!”

“Yes, it is,” I wave back, “It’s a beautiful morning.”

This place is vastly different from my neighborhood in Arizona, where all of the houses had front facing garages, never-ending rows of cars sized mouths that tended to swallow my neighbors, one by one, before they even had the opportunity to escape their cars.   

While the thinking behind the designs of those desert neighborhoods must have had something to do with ensuring that no one be inconvenienced by the heat, they also had the unfortunate side effect of ensuring that no one be inconvenienced by seeing each other.  I used to get so lonely there.  We’ve been back in Montana for almost eight months now, and it still feels good to be home.     

My neighbors have no idea that my bathroom is usually in the process of being flooded as I’m waving at them from my front porch.  And I sometimes wonder if they have any clue at all about the kinds of things that go on in our house, but then I remember that they’re probably too busy thinking about their own lives to give us a second thought.  Cale was in the bathtub, so I knew that I had a little bit of time to grow a bigger God before the bathroom floor was completely under water.  And I had everything that I needed - a fresh cup of coffee, a mile high stack of books, and a vague sense that I needed an entirely new way of thinking. 

My existing problems were these.  Number one – either God’s an asshole, or he doesn’t exist.  Number two – I am (a least a part of) God.  So I picked a book, randomly, out of my stack, and was surprised to discover that it was a new one that I hadn’t gotten around to reading yet.  In fact, I don’t even remember buying it, but the fresh receipt was still on the inside.  I opened it up to a random page, and began to read the things, right off the bat, that forever changed my conception of God.  This is what I read (in a book about Edgar Cayce by Mark Thurston):

“”Know, O Israel, (Know, O People) the Lord Thy God is One!”  From this premise we would reason, that:  In the manifestation of all power, force, motion, vibration, that which impels, that which detracts, is in its essence of one force, one source, in its elemental form.  As to what has been done or accomplished by or through the activity of entities that have been delegated powers in activity is another story.”

It was talking about “evil.”  Hmm.  I read on:

“…we first need to recognize the underlying oneness of God (yeah, yeah, yeah, I’ve got that already!).  Then we need to recognize that some choices really are life-promoting and others are not, and that the influence of evil on these choices is a very real thing.  Evil is not separate from God; instead, it’s a negative way of using that one source.”

I stopped.  ““Self will run riot,”” I thought, and then read on:

“With the gift of free will, we could choose to follow God’s plan for our development or rebel against it.”

“Lovely,” I thought, rather sarcastically, “There’s the infamous “God has a plan!” thing again.  But what if God’s plan sucks?”

I reluctantly read on:

“When this first cause (the source) comes into man’s experience in the present realm he becomes confused, in that he appears to have an influence upon this force or power in directing same.  Certainly!  Much, though, in the manner as the reflection of light in a mirror.  For, it is only reflected force that man may have upon those forces that show themselves in the activities, in whatever realm into which man may be delving in the moment-“

Huh?  Thankfully it said it again in different words:

“Despite our delusions, we (human beings) really aren’t the source of the one, creative energy; we are merely able to reflect and direct it.  …think about a mirror, which doesn’t emit its own light but simply reflects light and redirects its path.  Rather than saying, in effect, “I am God,” we need to be saying “I serve the one God who lives in me.”

This stopped me cold.  I’d never read anything like it anywhere before (and it’s quite possible that I’d read something like it before but still missed it, because I do have a tendency to focus on what confirms my own conceptions and leave the rest).  I’m not the source of God’s power, not even in the sense of being a gas tank that needs periodic refilling.  There is no gas tank.  Of and by myself, I have no power.  I’m not a little part of God.  I’m not God at all.

Now, this was a tremendous relief.  “Oh, thank GOD I’m not God!” I actually said out loud, but what was disturbing was the idea that I’m either reflecting God (his light) or I’m reflecting darkness.  No matter what’s going on.  Light or darkness?  Those are the choices.  And being pissed off all the time, about things not going my way, definitely isn’t reflecting light.  It doesn’t bring any power to anything at all.  

I heard Shane, “Jeeesss!  Bring towels!!”

“Whoop, time’s up,” I thought, so I quickly offered up this little prayer before attempting to rescue the bathroom floor, “Dear God.  Since I, thankfully, am not you, and since I have already done everything that I can possibly do for Cale to no avail, I am now powerless to change anything for him.  This means that I am no longer responsible for his well-being.  You are.  And I do sincerely thank you for letting me know that.  You cannot imagine (well, you probably can actually, being God and all) what a relief it is.  Sorry to hand you such a mess, but I know that you’ll do a great job.  And good luck!”

Then I went about serving the one God who lives in me by finding towels.

Later that evening, or maybe it was the next evening, I went about the business of trying to reflect God’s light.  The problem was that I didn’t quite get what that meant.  I mean, it sounds nice.  But how, exactly, does one go about reflecting God?

I met with some friends of mine that evening, and I visited with one friend of mine, in particular, who had just had a brain tumor removed.  He told me all about his recent surgery, and then he asked me how Cale was doing. 

I told him everything – about our medical insurance company refusing to help us, about the wait for a Medicaid waiver, about Cale’s recent injuries and the regression that we’ve seen over this past summer - all of it.  I told him that I keep trying to give it all to God, but that I then seem to take it back again.  Then I give it to God, and then take it back again.  Then I give it to God, and then take it back again, etc.  It’s exhausting.

“I struggle with truly surrendering this,” I said.  “Our plan is to give it a year here in Montana, but if Cale hasn’t been selected for a Medicaid waiver by that point, then we’ll probably have to consider moving back to Arizona (I had already taken it back).  But I really like it here, and it worries me to have to consider moving bac…”

“Don’t do that,” he interrupted.

“Do what?” I asked.

“THAT.  Don’t do THAT,” he answered, “Don’t put any limits on God.  Don’t say, “we’ll wait until blah, blah, blah,” or “we’ll do this IF that.”  (Oh, I was glad that I hadn’t told him about the “if God doesn’t do things my way then he’s not there at all” scenario that I had been wrestling with earlier).  DON’T DO THAT.  Don’t give it any negativity.  Just trust that God is taking care of all of you right now, no matter what.”

He looked at me, just to make sure that I was really listening, and repeated, “NO. MATTER. WHAT.” 

Now, he didn’t actually say, “God has a plan,” but it sounded pretty damn close at first, which kind of made me want to punch him in the face.  I restrained myself, of course, seeing as how he’d just had surgery on his head and all:)  But it sure hasn’t felt like God has been taking care of us.  It’s felt like God has abandoned us.  So I didn’t buy it at first, but when I looked up at my friend’s face, he seemed to be glowing.  I did a double take just to be sure, and yup.  His face, his eyes, his whole body was, in fact, glowing. 

“Reflection of God,” I pondered.

You see, this person has a wife and small children that are dependent on him.  And he had just had a brain tumor removed.  Can you imagine that?  I mean, put yourself into his shoes and truly feel that for a moment.  But, you see, I remember him saying all of this same stuff before he had the surgery, before he knew for sure that he was going to be okay.

He didn’t say that God has a plan.  He never said, “I’ll know that God was taking care of me once I’m healed.”  Nor did he say, “God will heal me.”  Nor did he say, “You’ll know that God was taking care of all of you guys once Cale has gotten help.”  Nor did he say, “Cale will get help.”  What he said was, “No matter what.”

It suddenly became clear to me that while it’s important to reflect God’s light after something has gone our way, it’s maybe most especially important to reflect it before something has gone our way, while things aren’t at all going the way that we want them too, and while things are still at their most difficult.  And my friend had just explained exactly how to do it - “Don’t put any limits on God.  Don’t give anything any negativity.  Just trust that God is taking care of all of you right now, no matter what.”  That’s what he had done.  And, hallucination or not, he was definitely glowing. 

The first thing I did, when I got home that night, was to turn Cale over to God again, and trust that he would be taking care of us - whether Cale gets therapy or not, whether anything ever changes or not, whether I have to give up custody of Cale to the state so that he can go into a group home or not, and whether Cale becomes so detached from me some day that he doesn’t notice when I die or not - no matter what.  I didn’t have to like it.  I only had to do it.  And, ever since then, I’ve focused only on the gorgeous things about my life.

It takes a real act of paying attention to your thinking to do this, I’ve found.  In fact, I don’t think that it can be sustained at all by one simple piece of information.  A piece of information can jump start it again, certainly.  But, for me anyway, better thinking cannot simply come from “getting good and then staying that way.”  It just doesn’t work like that. 

There have been days when it has required concentrated doses of meditation, for however long it takes, to either let go of, or realize that I need to take care of something, that is bothering me, and to turn my thinking in a positive direction again.  But then, simply because of who I am, my thinking still tends to take a turn for the worse again at some point during the day.  But lately, anytime I’ve drifted into negative thinking, I’ve recognized it (tried to imagine a mirror reflecting darkness instead of light), and I’ve tried to re-focus.

Sometimes I have to call somebody (another Autism parent, for example) in order to be able to re-focus.  And it’s so funny how this works, because another Autism parent can often lighten me up about the things that go on with my kids, and I can often lighten them up about the things that go on with theirs. 

The Dali Lama says that when you take on a problem alone, with the mindset of “I, me, or mine,” then even a small problem be very overwhelming.  But when you take on a problem with somebody else, with the mindset of “other” (if you can get yourself to think about somebody else for awhile), then even a very large problem can seem tolerable.  Plus, I just love the little competitions that Autism parents have with each other about whose kid is the weirdest-

“My kid got sent to the principal’s office every day last week.”

“Oh yeah?  Well, my kid got carried out of the classroom by the principal while still in the desk.”

“My kid screamed for two hours yesterday.”

“Mine screamed for five.”

“Mine collects batteries.  I found an entire drawer full of them in his room.  I wondered why all of our batteries kept disappearing.”

“Well, when I looked down at my kid at the doctor’s office, he was repeatedly licking the wall!”

“I apparently took my kid to speech therapy for years and years when he was little, so that he could grow up and tell me to “fuck off!”

“My kid tried to touch my friend inappropriately.”

“Oh hell, my kid tries to molest somebody every day.”

“Oh yeah?  Well, my kid flops down onto the ground starts humping the floor right in front of God and everybody!”

“AAHAAA!  HA!  HA!  HA!!”

Kids with Autism really are kind of entertaining.  I mean, you couldn’t make this stuff up if you tried.

It’s an incredibly useful tool to be able to change my perceptions of the things that go on with my kids, because, when I only compare them to “neuro-typical” children, I get so worried about them.  But when I hear about how other kids with Autism really do grow out of these things, I can lighten up a lot.  Plus it gives me hope that maybe, some day, Cale will be able to tell me to “fuck off.”

I feel like my thinking is being reshaped.  Instead of focusing on Cale’s screaming and hitting and breaking things and flooding the bathroom, I’ve been focusing on how he actually smiles most of the time, on how cute his laugh is when he’s tickled, and on how he sings (you can’t understand the words, but he’s still singing).  And instead of focusing on what it might mean if he never talks, I focus on the positive things about his not talking – he doesn’t harass me for treats or toys at the store like my other two kids do, and he never whines or complains.  Of course, he might start screaming for no reason… whoops!  Positive!  See?  I’m still not very good at it yet, but I’m getting better:)

Instead of wishing that Shane and I could go out on a date, I plan, and rather look forward to, at home dates after bedtime.  And instead of wishing that I could have a career, I write (which is a hell of a lot easier now that school has started again!). 

Any time I find myself thinking about anything negative (which is shockingly often, I’ve found), I try to turn it around into something positive.  I won’t even allow myself the discontent of wishing that my house was blue, and instead sit outside on the front porch and focus on the fact that it’s a rather nice shade of green.  Maybe this all sounds kind of silly, but man does it work well.  I’ve been having an absolutely delightful time.  And it’s slowly been dawning on me that maybe the reason that Cale is in my life is to turn me into a happy person.

Can you imagine me - a naturally pessimistic, cup is definitely half empty, incredibly self-centered and intense woman – being happy?  I’ve always wanted to be one of those light-hearted, happy people.  I’ve even studied happy people and tried to figure out how they do it.  And I used to pray, a lot, for God to turn me into a happy person.  Well, maybe God just finally said, “Okay then, but that’s going to take an awful for you.  Hmm… oh, I’ve got it!  I’ll give you a child who will literally beat the unhappy out of you!”

The funny thing about focusing on what’s good, right here in front of me, at this very moment, is that I feel relatively good most of the time.  And the funny thing about feeling good most of the time is that I no longer care, that much, why I was trying to reflect God’s light in the first place.  This probably has something to do with no longer being attached to the results, and it always seems to be when results actually start coming.

I found a whole bottle of Cale’s old Risperdal (his anti-psychotic) in my cupboard, and we started giving it to Cale again.  I did call the psychiatrist’s office (the one that never returns my phone calls) and let the receptionist know this, and, strangely enough, the psychiatrist called me right back:)  We now have an appointment with the psychiatrist for next week! 

Of course, I’m not sure how we can afford to keep Cale on the Risperdal.  The only profession that I can think of that might supply enough money to cover the cost of it is to go into stripping.  The hours would be good – nights and weekends (when Shane could watch the kids).  But, unfortunately, I’m not twenty and cute anymore, so this would be a reflection a lot of things that nobody should ever have to see, but God’s light definitely wouldn’t be one of them.  Therefore, I’m really not sure how we’ll be paying for the Risperdal, but, since I’m not God, I’m not worried about it.

Since Cale’s been on the Risperdal again, there’s been a huge decrease in his disruptive behaviors.  We’ve seen at least ten times less screaming and aggression than we’ve seen all summer, and I’ve been kind of kicking myself for not putting him back on it sooner.  In fact, just last week, we actually took Cale, along with Alden and Isabel, to a potluck at a friend’s house.  And we hadn’t done anything like this in ages. 

My friend had a large fountain/pond in her back yard, and, shockingly, Cale didn’t take his clothes off and jump into it.  Instead, he grabbed an entire bag of Doritos.  He walked around eating them, getting cheese crud all over his hands, and then wiping his hands, whenever he felt like it, on my friend’s furniture.  My friend told me that she didn’t mind.  And, she genuinely didn’t mind.  I mean, some people say that they don’t mind, but then they really do mind.  But she told me that she has animals, and that her animals get “animal crud” on her furniture.  “So I certainly don’t mind a bit of cheese crud,” she smiled.

Then, when Cale got upset and dumped the entire bag of Doritos onto the floor and started screaming, nobody said, “What’s the matter with you, Cale?”  Instead they said, “Does he need more chips?  We have lots of chips!”

I could’ve kissed everybody there that day.  I mean, there my son was, completely surrounded by people who love him, and he was actually allowing himself to be loved.  I don’t know if it was the medication or just the general energy in the place, but we ate it up like we’d been starving to death all summer (because we kind of had been).  We had such a great time. 

I was on the front porch still thinking about this, and thinking that maybe God’s plan isn’t so bad after all, when Shane came out and told me the news.

The state had called.  They’re going to provide Cale with some “crisis funding,” which I guess they’ve never done for anyone before, which means that Cale will be getting three months worth of some of the therapies that he needs.  And our caseworker informed me that, since he’s been approved for this crisis funding, he’ll also go straight to the top of the waiting list for the next available Medicaid waiver.

“Oh,” I replied, “That’s nice.”  
     

 








No comments:

Post a Comment